SonicWALL’s Mobile Connect client allows Apple iOS devices to access the corporate network behind a suitable Sonicwall firewall or Secure Remote Access appliance.
The end-to-end process is relatively straight forward:
2. Once installed, launch the app from your home screen. The first time you run it, you’ll be asked “Do you want to enable SonicWALL Mobile Connect VPN functionality?”. This is required, as the client integrates with your device’s operating system. Your only choice here is “enable”, so press that button.
4. When adding a new connection you are prompted for a name and a server. The first field is a descriptive name for the connection, for example “London Office”, the second is the actual name or IP address of your VPN server. e.g. remote.yourcompany.co.uk. Enter this information and choose Next.
5. The client attempts to connect to the server in order to verify the settings. You may be prompted with a certificate warning. If you know that everything is correct you may choose to continue. If you are uncertain, cancel at this point and re-enter the server details.
6. After the server verification, you will be invited to enter your username, password and domain and choose Save
7. You will be returned to the main menu, from where you are now able to connect to the VPN. Note the [VPN] image at the top of the page. Whilst this is displayed you are connected to the network and your applications will be able to connect to network resources. Note that there are other types of VPN that can be established as well as the SonicWALL, but they all show the same image in the notification area.
8. If you receive the following message, the appliance you are connecting to has an out-of-date version of software on it and you will not be able to connect until it is upgraded.
Once you are connected, you will be able to access corporate resources. For example, you could access your corporate intranet via your browser, or connect to a terminal server using an application such as pocket cloud.